Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

I am very surprised this post is directly after my Pre Reading post. This book is nicely divided into 3 parts, but I did not stop after each to write an entry because I pretty much read more than half the book in two sittings, one on the way to on a field trip and one on the way back.




I am very glad this was not the final cover. The size of Elisa is a big part of the story. The cover with the face in the gem is better because less is revealed.


SPOILERS abound.


I really enjoyed this novel. It was an epic with a protagonist that grows and becomes a more rounded person. Those are my kind of novels. It reminded me of many other epic fiction, from Star Wars to Avatar: The Last Airbender. When I first started reading this novel, I hated all the names. They had unusual spellings and I could not remember who was who or what was what. By the end, the uniqueness of the naming added. It gave the feel of a whole new world.


Going into this novel, I was doubty on how the religious aspect would play out. I enjoyed where it went. The biggest thing that was weird to get to was the use of God and His, Him, etc. Although it is named the same as the Christian God, it is a completely fiction world with completely fiction religions. After finishing this novel, I want to know more about the religion. The origin of her godstone wasn't well explained. Was it present before her naming ceremony? What do the Invierne believe? (I hope I spelled that correctly since I don't have my book here to check).


I loved the way image and body was done. I really enjoy noncaucasian fantasy worlds. I am not certain, but I think all the characters from Elisa's kingdom/nation were dark skinned. They definitely all had black or dark hair. I did not realize dark hair redded in the sun. The Invierne were described as colorful because they had all shades of hair. The animagus were also portrayed well, with their catlike blue eyes and light skin and hair.


The relationships were dealt with perfectly. I also really liked that both of her potential love interests died. All the characters had enough depth for what they were needed for. I want to know more about the past bearers. I really liked the way their destinies may still be fulfilled long after their deaths. The past bearers reminded me of the past avatars in Avatar: The Last Airbender.


I want MORE! There have been many books recently that once I have finished I discover a sequel is in the works and I deem it unnecessary. In this case, I want a sequel now!


I will give this a 4.5/5. It was excellent on so many levels. I am looking forward to the sequel.


I guess I will now wait for Ashley to finish her October pick and continue to read A Clash of Kings, which will take me until the end of the year probably unless I suddenly get a lot of free time.


PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment