Friday, February 3, 2012

Paul's January Pick: Elixir






Title: Elixir
Author: Hilary Duff
Year Published: 2010


Synopsis: Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea's father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea's photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful man—a man she has never seen before. When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father's disappearance, and they discover the centuries old truth behind their intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives—and their futures. 


REVIEW


I have wanted to read this book for some time now. I really like Hilary Duff as an actress, musician, and person. Its always interesting when nonwriting celebrities publish a novel that's fiction. Another one I want to read is Modelland by Trya Banks. 


After reading this novel, I could tell that Hilary Duff wasn't a writer. It wasn't horribly written, but some parts were choppy. It took me a few chapters to get used to the writing style. 


The story was overall nice. If Duff was still in her late teens, I could totally see this being a movie starring her. The wig scene reminded me of one of her music videos. I definitely pictured Clea as Duff throughout the novel. 


The novel came to an interesting close. Nothing particularly mind blowing, but I enjoyed it.


Overall, this was an entertaining book that I will probably read the sequel to. The characters didn't have a lot of depth, but the concept was well thought out. 


I will give this novel a 2.5/5.


-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment