Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong - Ashley's Review

My Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

This book really surprised me. I mean, I figured it would pick up right after The Gathering left off, and I figured Maya would really have to start using her Skin Walker powers. But I didn't expect it to be such a thrill ride, or for it to be so fast-paced.

I really enjoyed how quickly this book moved along. There was enough detail to know what was going on, but it wasn't so much that you get lost in unimportant things. The kids are running for their lives, and reading this book kind of felt like you were running right along with them. And the fact that it only takes place over a couple of days really helps, I think. There are no jumps in time, and there aren't any gaps that need explaining. Some questions from The Gathering are answered, but there are more questions raised that I assume will be answered in the next book, so things never really get very dull.

The characters are all really nicely developed throughout the course of the book as well. None of the minor characters are there without a reason, and each one of them helps Maya to come to terms with her powers and herself. I also really enjoy how nobody just makes a decision and everyone agrees with it. Someone always has a counterargument, and they discuss every plan and take a vote. The kids act as equals instead of just blindly following one or two people. You also get to learn more about each person and what makes them do the things they do, and why their families have been asked to live in Salmon Creek. Plus, there are a few new characters introduced, and they do not disappoint either.

I do wish we could have seen more of Rafe, but I guess that would have removed one of the major conflicts. So I guess it worked out alright. He's grown on me though, and I really hope we get to see more of him in the next installment. And Annie too. They're the only characters that have been around  since the beginning that I really don't feel like I know very much about.

Overall, I think I enjoyed The Calling more than I enjoyed The Gathering. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has read The Gathering, and I would recommend the series to anyone who is interested in supernatural YA books, especially ones that are set in this world. Plus, if you like a little bit of mystery and romance, you would probably enjoy these books. 3/5 to this one, but I'm excited to find out how Maya's story ends!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment