Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi - Ashley's Review

My Pre-Reading

Title: Through the Ever Night
Author: Veronica Rossi
Year Published: 2013

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Synopsis: It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.


Review: When I finished Under the Never Sky, I was desperate for Through the Ever Night to come out so that I could continue Perry and Aria's story. And it most definitely did not disappoint. Everything that I loved about the first book in the series - the mystery, the adventure, the romance - was back, and even better. Although there isn't as much tromping around through the wilderness and such, there's still plenty of adventure to be had. And, although the problems are different, they're still just as intense. Oh, and there are parts where I think Rossi just felt like ripping out someone's heart and stepping on it. Because I was certainly in tears. 

Aether storms have become an even bigger problem, and I thought Rossi did an excellent job making them both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I mean, I love a good lightning storm (which is what I picture the Aether storms to look like). But I would never want to witness an Aether storm. I loved how the Tides all work together during the storms to protect each other and save as many of their friends and family as they can.

Although I love hearing about Perry and Aria, I think my favorite part of this book was that we got to learn so much more about all of the minor characters. Whether through flashbacks or current events, we got to know so much more about most of the people in the Tides. And, thanks to Roar and Liv, we already know a little bit about Roar, but it was really interesting to see how his friendship with Aria has grown and continues to grow. It's completely different than his relationship with Liv, but you can just tell how much he loves Aria (in that best friend way). 

Plus, on top of all the great character building, we get to learn even more about the world in which Perry, Aria, and all their friends and family live. It's a scary place, and I give them props for being as brave and as strong as they are. I'd probably turn into a crying little baby if that was my world. 

I cannot wait to find out more about the Still Blue in the next book! I'm hoping there will be another short story to tide us over (fingers and toes crossed!), because I do not want to wait until next year to learn more about the world and its people. I would totally recommend this book to anyone who has read Under the Never Sky, but I would also recommend the series to anyone who enjoyed Divergent, the Delirium trilogy, Shadow and Bone, and even Cinder. And pretty much to everyone I know. A strong 5/5 to this one!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment