Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs - Ashley's Review

My Pre-Reading

Title: The Warlord of Mars 
Author: Edgar Rice Burroughs 
Year Published: 1913-1914 as serials, 1919 as novel

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Synopsis: 
Far to the north, in the frozen wastes of Polar Mars, lay the home of the Holy Therns, sacred and inviolate. Only John Carter dared to go there to find his lost Dejah Thoris. But between him and his goal lay the bones of all who had gone before.



-------------------------

Review: I really don't have a lot to say about this book. That isn't to say though, that I didn't enjoy it. I did! There's action, adventure, romance, heartbreak, mystery, and all of the things that make books like this one have so much re-read value. I loved the first two books in the Barsoom series, and this one did not let me down. In fact, it might be my favorite one so far.

This book picks up pretty much immediately after the cliffhanger of The Gods of Mars. Some time has passed, but John Carter catches you up pretty quickly before starting into his quest to save Dejah Thoris and Thuvia. Everything happens fairly quickly, and I never felt like the story was dragging on or anything. Burroughs really only includes important details, which makes it a little easier to get through the unfamiliar wording. 

I was pretty excited that we got to meet all sorts of new characters and go to never before seen parts of Mars, and seeing John Carter get so close to Dejah only to lose her every single time was definitely enough to make me want to finish this book as quickly as possible. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who has read any of the other Barsoom novels, and also to anyone looking for a good sci-fi series to start. The books are very short, and wonderfully imaginative and engaging. I'm pretty excited that there are 11 books in the series (although not all about John Carter), because I love reading about adventures on Mars. a 4/5 on this one from me!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment