Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Legend by Marie Lu - Paul's REVIEW

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Year Published: 2011

My Legend REVIEW

Synopsis: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Review: I finally read this book! I had heard so many good things about it. And although I did really enjoy it, I don't think it lived up to my expectations which is totally my fault. It is a great book. 


Another Dystopian YA, but this book changes some things up. I liked that June was a member of the government. With two POVs, it was nice to have different, contrasting perspectives on this interesting world. I feel like this world has only just been established. It appears to take place in a future United States, but there are only whispers of what created this world. Colonists? I'm sure we will see a lot more in the next two books. This makes me even more excited to read the next book. 

There is a lot of violence in this book, but it is dealt with in the right way. It is necessary to portray a possibly evil government. The main characters are almost like super humans with their abilities of stealth and agility.I didn't really relate to either characters. The romance seemed a little insta-love, but it wasn't that bad. I did like that family was a big part of the story though. 

I have to share a story. I started to read this book before bed and got through four chapters before falling asleep. Once asleep, I continued the story into my dreams. The story was nothing like what it ended up to be. Upon waking up, I was confused as to what even has really happened in the book. I had to reread a few pages before continuing. In my dream, Day ended up to be a chick undercover as a guy, which did not happen in the book. 

Although, I really did enjoy this book. I didn't really connect with it and I wanted more of the world building. I know the world building will be fleshed out more in the sequel, so I am really looking forward to reading it. And, I have already bought the kindle version! I give this novel a 4/5.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment