Friday, November 8, 2013

Justice League of America, Vol. 1: World's Most Dangerous - Paul's REVIEW

***I was provided an ecopy of this graphic novel via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review***

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Justice League of America, Vol. 1: World's Most Dangerous
Author:  Geoff Johns
Year Published: 2013

Release Date: November 12, 2013

Synopsis: Following the events of Throne of Atlantis, it is deemed nessesary to create a new Justice League.  This new superhero team is under the command of Col. Steve Travor, of the United States Military's A.R.G.U.S. division(Advanced Research Group Uniting Superhumans).  Signing up for duty with this new incarnation of the JLA are Catwoman, Katanna, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Steve Trevor, Hawkman, Star Girl and the long-awaited return of 80s superhero, Vibe.

Review: I've always liked the idea of a team of superheroes. I love what Marvel has been able to do with The Avengers and the companion movies, but the original superhero team is the Justice League, or at least it is to me. I was obsessed with Super Friends as a child. DC has recently relaunched all their titles with The New 52. I haven't really been following the comics, but when I was offered this graphic novel to review I couldn't refuse. 


A new Justice League is being established, one that will be able to take out the old Justice League if it needs to. Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, and Catwoman are just a few of the new members. I like that this crew isn't the best of the best and most known. They are super heroes with potential. This new team is called The Justice League of America

I really liked the dynamic of the team. Many of the characters play off of each other. Catwoman's banter is the best. I also liked Stargirl. It was also cool to see the original Justice League with Superman not up to his best and Wonder Woman trying to remedy the situation. I wasn't familiar with the Justice League Dark before reading this. They are a group of superheroes who deal with the magic side of things. 

Since I am not caught up on all the current comics, this book was a little confusing for me. I don't know if it was just set up unusual because it was a review copy, but it seemed like there were multiple stories that weren;t quite in order. After talking to a friend that reads these comics as they are released and doesn't miss a New Comic Wednesday, I was told that this is just one of the storylines in The Trinity War story arc. It is a cross promotional storyline that is covered in different series. So maybe this book will make more sense if you are reading those as well. And then at the end of the book there is a Martian Manhunter story that I am told was a back-up story at the end of each issue. 

Although I was confused, I loved the story and characters. The artwork was also beautiful. Reading this made me want to become familiar with all these comics that are released monthly. I give this graphic novel a 3.5/5. After reading this, you might get hooked and want to get caught up with the current DC comics.



-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment