Monday, March 10, 2014

Splintered (Splintered #1) by A.G. Howard - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Splintered (Splintered #1)
Author: A.G. Howard
Year Published: 2013

Synopsis:
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.


When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.


Why?: I love retellings, I love Alice in Wonderland, and I especially love Alice in Wonderland retellings. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, and when I finally got the chance I totally jumped on it. I really like that Wonderland in this book is supposed to be pretty dark. And I also like that there are two gorgeous guys!

Expectations: I've heard such good things about this book that my expectations are probably unreasonably high. I've never even read anything by A.G. and I really want this book to be everything that I've heard it is. I expect things to be colorful, dangerous, exciting, mysterious, and all of that jazz.

Judging a book by its cover: This cover is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colors, I love the title, I just really love everything about it. I would 100% pick this book up if I saw it on a shelf in a bookstore or library, and I really want to own a physical copy so that it can be pretty on my shelves too.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment