Thursday, February 4, 2016

Greta and the Glass Kingdom (Mylena Chronicles #2) by Chloe Jacobs - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Greta and the Glass Kingdom (Mylena Chronicles #2)
Author: Chloe Jacobs
Publication Date: February 9th, 2015
Publisher: Entangled Teen

My review of Greta and the Goblin King (Mylena Chronicles #1)

Synopsis: Once upon a dark time…

Greta the human bounty hunter never quite fit into the shadowed, icy world of Mylena. Yet she's managed to defeat the demon Agramon and win the love of the darkly intense Goblin King, Isaac. Now Isaac wants her to rule by his side—a human queen. And the very announcement is enough to incite rebellion…

To make matters worse, defeating Agramon left Greta tainted with a dark magick. Its unclean power threatens to destroy her and everything she loves. With the Goblin King's life and the very peace of Mylena at stake, Greta must find a cure and fast.

Her only hope lies with the strange, elusive faeries in the Glass Kingdom…if she can get there before the evil within her destroys everything.

-----------------------------------------------------------


Review: It's been a long time since I've read Greta and the Goblin King. Almost 3 years. I was a little worried that I might not remember enough for Greta and the Glass Kingdom to make any sense, or to be able to fall back into Mylena. I was very, very wrong! Even though it's been years, as soon as I started reading Greta and the Glass Kingdom, I was immediately pulled right back into the world and the lives of these characters as if I had never left!  Even though there were definitely things that I didn't remember right away, there are so many subtle refreshers that everything came back very quickly. They're expertly woven into the story, and I never felt like I was taking out of what was happening now to be reminded of something that happened then. 

One of my favorite things about Greta and the Goblin King was the beautiful world-building, and this book was no different. Even though I thought I knew a lot about Mylena, I learned so much more about this incredible world. It was really neat to learn things as Greta learned them, especially since it made for seamless story-telling. I felt like I was trudging through the snow, stuck in the forest, and experiencing the Glass Kingdom with Greta, Siona, and the faeries. I could feel the excitement of the goblins when Isaac reveals his surprise at the party, and I felt just as terrified as Greta as the dark magick starts to take over.

Greta is still as bad-ass as I remember, maybe even more so, and I really enjoyed watching her grow and mature and deal with the magick inside of her. She's still scared that she's no good for Isaac, but she still never gives up and still keeps pushing forward, trying to prove herself and save the world she's come to care about. And speaking of Isaac, I still love him just as much as I did before. He believes in Greta, and he is willing to give up everything to be with her. He goes through so much in this book, and there were several times when I was afraid he wasn't going to come back. 

Basically, everything about this book was fantastic! It's full of adventure, danger, romance, magick, friendship, and so much more. The world-building and story-telling are gorgeous, and I can't wait to read the final book in this amazing trilogy! Luckily, the wait this time is very short!! If you're a fan of YA fantasy, this is one series you don't want to miss, especially if you like books like Rae Carson's The Girl of Fire and Thorns and Amber Argyle's Winter Queen. 4/5! 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment